Social Networking

Club History

BUFFERS ALLEY HISTORY

 The Buffers Alley club is one of the oldest in Co. Wexford, founded in the late 1870’s and came quickly to the fore and won its first title in 1905.

 Twenty-three lean years followed for the club but the spirit of the men of 1905 eventually bore fruit when they won another junior title in 1928.  History repeated itself 23 years later – 1951 when the third junior title came. In 1952 they played St. Aidan’s again in the senior championship but were narrowly defeated.  Having played senior for three years they reverted back to the junior grade in 1955.  In 1959 the Shamrocks defeated them in a memorable junior semi-final. With many young players coming from the Rackard League competitions, the club entered Intermediate competition in 1962 Even though it was only a junior club, this was the move that set Buffers Alley on the road to the top.  They were beaten in their first Intemediate year by Hollow Rangers and Davidstown-Courtnacuddy the following year.  The first Intermediate win came in 1965 and the same year won under 21 honours for the first time and repeated that again in 1966.  These wins sowed the seeds for many years to come. 

 

Entering senior grade in 1967, they quickly came to the top, been beaten by their greatest rivals – that famous Rathnure combination. 1968 was to be their year.  Their success story really started on a terrible day in Belfield, with rain, wind, sleet and snow and few loyal supporters, they slowly, but surely, overcame a hard fighting St. Martin’s side.  Battling their way to the final, they went in as underdogs and made history on that memorable day in December against a very talented Harriers side.   This team was captained by Joe Murphy in the absence of Captain, Paddy Sinnott. They repeated this in 1970. Beaten in the 1973 final by Rathnure.  Buffers Alley returned to their winning ways in 1975 and 1976 beating Oulart-The Ballagh and Rapparees respectively.  Defeats in the final of ’80 and ’81 were followed by what can only be described as the Golden Era for Buffers Alley winning eight Co. Hurling titles over the next ten years.

 

During the 70’s and 80’s Buffers Alley made an impact on the football scene in Co. Wexford.  They created a surprise in 1972 in winning the county junior football title.  Proving this to be no flash in the pan, they won the Intermediate football final in 1974 and completed in senior ranks for a number of years.  They returned to Intermediate ranks in the mid 80’s and once again were successful in the Intermediate football championship in 1989.

 

Their first ever appearance in a Leister Club final was in 1971 when they were narrowly defeated by St. Rynhagh’s of Offaly.  Buffers Alley beat Kinnity in the 1985 final and went all the way to the All-Ireland Final but was defeated by Kilruane-McDonaghs.  They beat Shamrocks from Kilkenny in the 1988 Leinster Final. The crowning glory for Buffers Alley arrived on St. Patrick’s Day in 1989 when they became the first and only Co. Wexford club to win the All-Ireland club championship with a well-deserved win over O’Donovan Rossa.  This team was captained by Pat Kenny.  They last competed at this level in 1992 when they once again took Leinster Club honours but lost out to Sarsfields of Galway in the Semi-Final.

 

Coiste na nÓg is a very important branch of the club.  All grades are catered for in under-age and have been very successful down through the years, winning many county titles. The 70’s and early 80’s were especially fruitful for the underage.  In the last few years Buffers Alley has also come back into the limelight again competing in many underage finals and last week . In 2009 the U14 hurlers defeated Fethard in a mouth-watering county final . In the past few weeks our U8’s won the Bill Cullen Cup defeating Camross of Laois in an annual Blitz organised by Naomh Éanna of Gorey.  Our U21’ hurlers had a terrific year in 2011 winning the Gorey District Hurling Final and continuing on to capture the Roinn 1 county final with a well-deserved win over a fancied Oylegate-Glenbrien team.

 The name Buffers Alley is today well-known to hurling fans and sportsmen all over Ireland.  There are of course numerous theories as to the story behind the name ranging it from being named “Buffers” after a General in the Boer War to the suggestion that it served as a meeting place for boxers known as buffers.  Strictly speaking it remains a crossroads between the townslands of Legnalough and Garrydaniel.

 In 1971, under the inspiration of John Doyle, the present grounds were purchased from Kevin Byrne of Ballinastraw.  A lot of fundraising was needed to purchase this 74 acre farm for a grand total of 16,000 pounds.  About half of the cost of the purchase of the land was raised locally by interest free loans and the balance came from a GAA development scheme.  With goodwill from everyone in the parish this venture was very successful and the pitch was officially opened by Donal Keenan in 1975.  The club pavilion and squash court was opened in 1978.

 In 2001 a new all-weather pitch was developed.  The club has now two full size playing pitches, walking track and a hurling wall.

 Major work has been undertaken over the past two years to extend facilities for the youth and community of Kilmuckridge and Monamolin. This development comprising of an indoor sports arena, match viewing stand, gym and a new set of dressing rooms is now catering for all age groups of players and is a welcome facility.   

 On 3rd July, 2014 word filtered through that the club was granted 40k under the Sports Capital Funding for a third pitch for the club – this news was very welcome.  


Main Sponsor

Calendar Of Events

Noticeboard

Strictly Club Dancers 2016